Where to Stay in Knysna: Cherry’s Questions Answered
Cherry posts a comment, asking – What’s a good backpacker’s in the Knysna-George region? Is it safe to take minibus taxis? Is there anything he should know, travel-precautions-wise, vis-a-vis the fact that he’s Indian?
Interesting questions, Cherry – and right up SA Blog’s alley!
- The first resource you’ll want to peruse is our own Trekker’s backpacking trip through the Garden Route, which has information on where to stay in Knysna, Plettenburg Bay and Storms River (where the Bloukrans Bridge is). Fortunately, the travel distances in the area aren’t too great: you can stay in one place and enjoy the activities in other places without too much inconvenience. Your backpackers will help you make arrangements.
- Trekker recommends: Wildside Backpackers in Knysna.
- Backpackers: more Knysna accommodation.
- Backpackers: more Garden Route accommodation.
- Tree canopy safaris: Storms River Adventures Company.
Minibus taxi advice:
- The plain truth about minibus taxis is that, while they cover almost every route under the SA sun, they’re also subject to higher-than-average accident rates. (And they’re less-than-comfy to ride in for any long period of time.) So, Cherry, I would recommend that you consider alternative transport for your trip to Cape Town.
- The best option is probably to travel via the Baz Bus. It will pick you up at your backpackers and get you to Cape Town safe-n-sound, albeit slowly, and in the company of other backpackers.
- Otherwise, look into the trans-Cape bus services of Intercape, Translux or Greyhound.
Travelling while Indian:
- The only thing you should bear in mind on this subject is the fact that I’ve written a cookbook on Indian cuisine, which would make a great gift for all your friends back home! Read more: The Masala Cookbook.
- Seriously, Cherry, you’ve nothing to fear from a racial standpoint during your trip – and you’ll find Indian culture in South Africa very interesting to explore! (See my cheap curries tag to get started in Cape Town.)