World Fair Trade Day
Today is the second Saturday in May – which means it’s World Fair Trade day! The day has been set aside to increase awareness about ethical trading in world commodities like coffee – and, in South Africa, with its Fair Trade in Tourism movement, to encourage the kind of responsible travel that sees local communities benefit from visitors’ spending.
If you peruse SA Blog’s Fair Trade section (which is terrific, if I do say so myself), you’ll find there’s plenty of ways to spoil yourself and encourage fair trade simultaneously. In fact, with Mother’s Day just a day away, why not spoil her while encouraging fair trade? Some highlights:
- Eat: Take mom for a cup of coffee and a Khayelitsha Cookie at Seattle Coffee Co. Or how about dinner at Liziwe’s African Cuisine?
- Drink: The Thandi Cabernet is delicious but hard to find; a Stellar Organics Merlot does nicely in its place.
- Stay: Pamper mom at the high end with a Singita Safari retreat; or take her on a Cape Town adventure at The Backpack.
- Be Merry: Swing from the treetops with the Storms River Adventures Company!
- Find a gift: Get mom a piece of beautiful, functional African craft art at Streetwires, African Home, or Sibanye.
More Fair Trade links: